Sunday, November 9, 2008

Save the Whales



Whaling has become a sport for many people, and it is now putting the whales in severe danger. I am interested in this campaign that the organization Greenpeace has put together, because we are doing an interesting class project for our media, internet, and public relations class. We have to make a 30-60 second web video, and I think that I am going to make my web video on how whales are becoming extinct in some species. I think that Greenpeace is a great organization, because they have had some pretty powerful campaigns that have worked in the past. I would feel confident giving them my money for the Save the Whales campaign.

According to the Greenpeace website, "The statistics say it all. The blue whales of the Antarctic are at less than 1 percent of their original abundance, despite 40 years of complete protection. Some populations of whales are recovering but some are not. Only one population, the East Pacific grey whale, is thought to have recovered to its original abundance, but the closely related West Pacific grey whale population is the most endangered in the world. It hovers on the edge of extinction with just over 100 remaining."

Greenpeace organization has taken action by doing protests such as going to places where they want whaling to stop, and spelling out "Help End Whaling" out with their bodies. I think that making a web video will be fun for this campaign, and I hope that people become more involved in this issue.

No comments: